Is bipolar disorder real or just myths and stories? Are you aware of the facts about Bipolar Disorder?
Often hallucination and delusions are connected to ghostly spirits by some people while medical science proves it to be a mental ailment.
Bipolar disorder or many times also known as manic depression is a mental ailment that causes various symptoms such as extreme level of swings, depression, and others. As per the bipolar disorder facts and theories, people suffering from such disorder often face trouble in daily life. Though there are no such proper medications available as of yet for the condition, of course, there are options today to control the condition to a certain level.
Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
Patients who have the mental illness of bipolar disorder often may have to go through some problems. Some of the symptom related facts about bipolar disorder that are being faced by someone suffering from bipolar disorder are:
- Being tensed, restless or anxious,
- Being in a situation of depression,
- Situation of melancholy even in good times,
- Not responding to anyone around,
- Delusions of hallucinations in extreme cases,
- Loss of interest in any pleasure,
- Sudden loss or gain or weight without any process,
- Either sleeping too much or not at all able to sleep,
- Loss of energy without doing anything,
- Not being able to focus or take any decision,
- Thoughts of either planning of committing suicide.
Types of Bipolar Disorder
Normally there are four types of bipolar disorders that have been diagnosed so far. These are:
- Bipolar I: Such patients experience hypomanic situations, and they become highly depressed before or even after such situation.
- Bipolar II: Such patients experience hypomania situations that last at least for four days at a single time. But the depression last for about two weeks for the same situation.
- Cyclothymia: Such patients also experience hypomania and depression, but experiences are lesser that Bipolar I and Bipolar II cases. It may also happen that such patient may get such a situation only once in a month.
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder: Such patients experience mood swings at a faster rate. These people also face different situations of hypomania, mania, depression and also mixed symptoms sometimes, all in the same year. This is mainly a type of bipolar disorder with psychotic features where the patient may also experience hallucinations and delusions.
Causes of Bipolar Disorder and Some Common Facts about Bipolar Disorder
If considered the history of bipolar disorder, even after several diagnosis sessions, the causes of the disease are still not known proper. But as per studies now some factors have been considered that may play a major role in causing the mental ailment.
- Biological Differences: Sometimes the shape of the brain may intend to change slightly. Bipolar disorder in toddlers happen due to this reason,
- Inherited Traits: The problem may get transmitted through genes also. It has been found that a person may get this problem if the siblings or the parents may have suffered from the issue.
- Neurotransmitters: Chemical imbalance in the brain may at times lead to such situation of mood swings that may lead to bipolar disorder.
Bipolar disorder and marijuana are very closely related as per the myths. But it is to be understood that drugs or alcohol is not the reason for such disease not it is a symptom. Taking drug is altogether being a separate problem.
Also Read: Myths about Mental Illness
Diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder
To diagnose the problem is the most difficult thing that happens. This is one of the sad facts about bipolar disorder. But if a person faced depression and situation of hypomania or mania for more than two weeks of time duration, then it becomes important to check for a doctor. Bipolar disorder in kids and teens become even more difficult because of the frequent mood swings.
Some of the other common symptoms of bipolar disorder in teens can be getting over excited for something at times and then bursting into tears out of depression. Many parents may consider such symptoms to be normal, but this may lead to issues like bipolar disorder, and this is one of the most pathetic facts about bipolar disorder.
In this case, it is important to start noticing them closely after one episode of hypomania that you have seen in the patient. Again when the doctors are visited, some tests and checks are done that may finally diagnose the problems and the type of the problem.
Bipolar Disorder and Pregnancy
One of the serious facts about bipolar disorder is that it can create serious issues during pregnancy. It has been noticed that many times miscarriages do take place due to such issue because depression and hypomania may lead to a rise in blood pressure. Also, patients in extreme condition may take certain steps that may lead to accidents. If such mothers succeed in giving birth to a healthy baby, then there is a chance of the kid having the same problem. And yes, this is one of the facts about bipolar disorder that can upset you if you are a pregnant mother.
Must Read: Pregnancy Diet Plan
The Time to Visit a Doctor
There are many people who are aware of the fact that they are facing some mental or emotional difficulties, but they are not sure of visiting a doctor. This can be a very wrong decision because facts also prove that bipolar disorder and anger may have some relation. Due to this at times the patients can have a very wrong impact on financial, professional as well as personal life of the person.
Often the patients face situations such as euphoria that may later down bring in more amount of depression and then this episode may last for a few days. Also, mood swings can be trouble in day to day life, and hence it becomes difficult in maintaining bipolar disorder and relationships or profession together.
If you are aware of a person who is suffering from such situation, it is important that you encourage that person to take the first step in visiting the doctor and coping with bipolar disorder soon.
Treatments and Interesting Facts About Bipolar Disorder
As per many myths, there are no possible bipolar disorder treatments, and the patient may ultimately commit suicide out of extreme depressive episodes. But medical science has some options that may not cure the condition completely but still are successful in managing bipolar disorder symptoms that can help the patient in leading a normal life.
- Medicines Prescribed
Some of the medicines prescribed by medical experts by checking the bipolar disorder history of the patient are:
- Mood Stabilizers,
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
This is said to be the most effective treatment for a bipolar disorder where the counselor helps the patient in understanding the thinking process by talking to him or her. It is said that 10-12 sessions are great in solving the problem such as mood swings, depression, and bipolar disorder paranoia is a large way.
Sometimes gaining knowledge about the risk factor of bipolar disorder can help in getting cured of it. This is done not alone but along with a close member such as parents, siblings or spouse.
- Social Rhythm Therapy
This is mainly a set of processes that are included in a patient’s regular lifestyle to correct the situations. Also, some changes are made such as sleeping duration and others. Some activities that are included are:
- Electroconvulsive therapy,
- Sleep medications
- Changes in Lifestyle
If a person is in the early onset of bipolar disorder, then it is very much possible that they may get cured by a slight change in their lifestyle. Some of the major changes that can be done are:
- Eating and sleeping properly,
- Realizing about mood swings and controlling them,
- Taking help from a relative or a friend,
- Talking to the doctor to take suggestions.
The prevalence of bipolar disorder is as many as 60 million people in all over the world by now. Myths about bipolar disorder say that people with such disorders are violent or may commit suicide but facts about Bipolar disorder say that only 10% of the patients only have a tendency to commit suicide. Other 90% lead a normal life with the help of the treatments available.