Does WhatsApp use data?
WhatsApp is the most popular voice and text messaging application since its launch in 2009. It is a specialized app of cross-platform messaging. It is a free service that allows the user to connect through mobiles and desktop. It is mostly known for its features of enhanced privacy like the end to end encryption, free services, and international calling, which is based on the web. WhatsApp makes use of the internet connection of your phone for sending and receiving messages between you and your family and friends. As long as you connected to any kind of internet modem till then, your WhatsApp will run. If your data pack is expired or you are not connected with any Wi-Fi, then you cut charges from your principal balance if you send messages.
Steps to know the usage of data by WhatsApp
In today’s world, WhatsApp is one of the most popular and used apps because of its free services for connecting people around the globe. As it seems that, WhatsApp is a free service and a person. It can send as many messages as the individual wants, but it is a little bit complicated.
WhatsApp is a messaging application that uses internet connection and consumes megabytes. If you are using Wi-Fi while messaging in WhatsApp, then you will not have to face any kind of issue. If you are using cellular data, then it will consume megabytes while using this application. If you are interested in getting the information about the consumption of megabytes by WhatsApp, then this is perfect content for you.
For Windows and Android devices:-
- At first, you will have to open up WhatsApp by clicking on the icon. They are quite similar in Android, Windows, and iPhone devices.
- If you are Android or Windows user, then you will have to go to the topic right corner and click of the three dots and then click on the settings menu of the application. After that, you will get a list of some different options. Click on the data and storage usage.
- Once you click the ‘Data and Storage Usage’ option, you will be given different options. You will have to see the first option, ‘Network Usage.’ Click here, and you will find the usage of data by WhatsApp.
- After clicking ‘Network Usage,’ you will get an option showing total messages received and sent, and data exchanged in megabytes. It will also show the number of calls you made and accepted. You will get to see all the details in terms of megabytes.
- You can also check out the ‘Storage Usage’ by tapping on the option below the Network usage. While you click in that option, you can check all the data sent individually in terms of megabytes. It is only applicable for Android devices.
- WhatsApp is quite similar in both iOS and Android devices. There are some minor differences between them. At first, you will have to open the settings of your WhatsApp, and you will find ‘Data Usage’ at the bottom of the menu. Tao on that option.
- After that, you will be showing options like messages sent or received, data exchange in terms of megabytes, and how many calls are made and accepted.
- Like Android devices, you can also click on the option of storage usage, where you can check out the usage of data that has been exchanged with individual contact.
WhatsApp uses a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection for facilitating voice calling and messaging around the globe. You can request a single person or a group together, and this feature is best for the small workgroups, family, and friends. The App allows the exchange messages, photos, documents, videos, and makes voice and video call both. WhatsApp provides full free of cost service without including any kind of subscription. WhatsApp uses the cellular data and Wi-Fi for making a call without interfering in the device’s text or voice plan. If you use Wi-Fi, then your WhatsApp will not even consume the data either. WhatsApp has sustained its popularity by supporting the globe to make free calls to each other.
Roaming Data charges while calling abroad
The WhatsApp uses the same data as the email and web browser uses. If you use your cellular data while in roaming, it usually charges an extra charge. You might get by your service provider for using WhatsApp in roaming. You must call your wireless carriers to get the details about SIMs, policies, and rates and international roaming. If you don’t have a global data plan, then it would be suggested to turn off your data for avoiding the roaming charges. If you are a Wi-Fi service, then you can get connected to that for running your WhatsApp, because WhatsApp is free in the usage of Wi-Fi.
Steps for prevention of data consumption by WhatsApp
Nowadays, the internet service provider of every telecom companies started giving some more cellular data to its users for sticking to their network. But they still try to control your data consumption by the apps, that is mostly used like Facebook and WhatsApp.
Recently WhatsApp was made into headlines for a Business App, which takes the benevolent level of cellular data. The exchange of text messages takes hardly a fraction of cellular, but the sharing of videos and photos consumes the maximum data. WhatsApp has included a new feature to its application to control the consumption of data in every condition. The App allows disabling the option which downloads the photos and videos automatically over the Wi-Fi and cellular data.
Here are the steps where you save your data much more: –
Disable the auto-download media.
- At first, you will have to open the application and click on the three dots on the top right corner for accessing the settings.
- After opening the setting page, you will have to tap on the ‘Data usage’ option.
- After opening the page, you will have an option of ‘Media auto-download’ tap on the option ‘ ‘when using mobile data’ option.
- After opening the page, tap on the media type, which you want to allow WhatsApp to download over cellular data.
- You will have to just repeat the steps in ‘when roaming’ and ‘when connected on Wi-Fi’ options.
- You can enable the ‘Low data usage’ option, which is under the ‘Call settings.’ Low Data Usage will lower the consumption of data while calling in WhatsApp.
It will worth doing that because you can control all the media auto-download, which is shared in WhatsApp which does not include voice messages. The messaging app has officially announced that the download of voice messages cannot be disabled. The voice messages are downloaded automatically for better communication.
Restrict the chat backup
WhatsApp allows you to backup your media and chats to the cloud storage. It means that it stores a copy of every text and photos and videos which were exchanged in WhatsApp. It helps to save the old conversation and downloads. But backing up the data consumes most of your data, and if you don’t want that, you can disable the option.
For Android device:-
- Go to the settings of what’s App.
- Tap on the ‘Chat’ option
- Tap on the ‘Chat backup’ option
- Tap on the backup option.
- Select the Wi-Fi option over the cellular data because Wi-Fi, it will not deduct any kind of data.
For iOS device:-
- Go to the settings of what’s App.
- Tap on cellular
- Tap on the iCloud drive and disable the option.
In WhatsApp, you can also restrict the intervals for your backup. You can go to the ‘Chat backup’ menu and select the ‘ Auto Backup’ mode and choose according to daily, weekly, monthly, or you can even disable the backup as per your wish.
Monitor the data consumption
You must be very careful about your data consumption, which can be very much as effective as different methods. It shows a piece of detailed information about the data which has been consumed.
For Android device:-
- Go to the WhatsApp menu and click on the settings.
- Go to data and storage
- Click on network usage.
You can view all the data which has been used by you WhatsApp and in which segment. It will provide you every single detail individually. You can even reset the data for getting a good idea of how much data is consumed by the App.
For iOS device:-
- Go to WhatsApp settings.
- Tap on cellular.
Here you can monitor all the data consumption in detail. Here you can even set a limit of data usage, so when it gets over that restricted data, it will automatically get turns off. For both Android and iOS device, you can easily limit the background data which is consumed by the WhatsApp. It will prevent the application from consuming data while working in the background. When you disable the background data consumption, it will notify messages only even when you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.
The bottom line
WhatsApp is the most popular application for messaging, voice, and video calling App in all around the globe. It provides a free service without interfering with your calls and SMS plans of device. It consumes a bit amount of cellular data. It is clearly explained in this content how the data is used up and the various steps to check out the information which has been destroyed by WhatsApp. You can even restrict your data consumption by WhatsApp by following some steps. WhatsApp has created an excellent communication platform around the globe through the use of an internet connection.